Pages

Monday 5 December 2011

Film review: Breaking Dawn: Part I (The Twilight Saga)


OK, I'm going to admit it now, I am a Twilight fan. Even though I am not a teenage girl anymore, (in fact I am in my mid-late twenties), I can't help but be enthralled by the adventures of Bella, Edward and co. And so it was with great expectations that I went to see Breaking Dawn, twice within the week it came out. And here is my verdict:-

I thought it was pretty good, to be honest. They kept quite close to the book which I think the fans would appreciate, and there was action and romance all the way through. I still think that the best character in the films is Charlie Swan, Bella's dad, played by Billy Burke. He really does bring Charlie to life and some of his one-liners are hilarious. The wedding speech scene in the film is one of my favourites, it is absolutely hilarious.

I don't think I will be spoiling the plot for anyone if I give a basic run-through of what happens. Basically, Bella marries her high-school vampire sweetheart Edward in a lovely ceremony and then jets off to a private island for their honeymoon. She soon finds out that she is pregnant and refuses to give up her baby, even though the birth will almost certainly kill her. Her werewolf friend Jacob has to break from his pack when the other werewolves see the baby as a threat and threaten to kill Bella and her child. The film ends with baby Renesmee being born, Jacob imprinting with her and Bella being changed into a vampire to 'save' her life.

I believe that the film suffered slightly through being split into two parts. The wedding was padded out a bit too much for my liking, and I felt that at certain points of the film they were running through past footage in an attempt to appease the Twi-hard fans. That said though, I can't wait for the next installment, and I think the last scene was a great ending to the film, to whet your appetite for the next one.

Star Rating: **** (4/5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment